Onychomycosis (tinea unguium) – fungal infection of the nails. The disease is displayed by thickening and loosening of the nail plate, unpleasant odor, itching. Nails cease to be transparent pink and become white or yellow, green, brown. Symptoms of onychomycosis depend on the patient’s clinical history, stage of the disease, body immune status. Some patients complain of itching and discoloration of the nail, while others experience separation of the nail from the nail bed. Toenails or fingernails may be affected, but it is more common for toenails to be affected.
Along with onychomycosis, there may be such nail conditions as:
- Onycholysis – nail exfoliation from the finger soft tissues
- Leukonechia – the nail becomes a dull white
- Chromonychia – nails turn yellow
- Paronychia – inflammation of the periungual roller
Each of the nail plate conditions, which is different from the norm, is the reason to seek medical advice. It must be noted that the easier the disease degree – the greater the ability to cure a fungal infection with topical agents. Topical antifungal preparations include: concentrated boosters with active essential oils, nail balms, serum, in some cases – cream and gel.
How to diagnose onychomycosis and how to treat it
The diagnosis is established after examination by a doctor and laboratory tests. You should not ignore the symptoms and self-medicate. However, there are some cases when antifungal home care should be applied even if no obvious symptoms are observed. So you can choose specific antifungal home remedies if you belong to one of the groups listed below:
- people who took antibiotics, immunosuppressant, corticosteroids for a long time
- people who suffer from hypovitaminosis
- people with reduced immunity and after prolonged illnesses
- people who have recently been treated for dermatomycosis or nail mycosis
- people who are currently in the process of fungal disease treating
- people with relatives or friends who have experienced a fungal disease
- people who regularly visit common areas
Onychomycosis treatment and onychomycosis home care should have antifungal, antiseptic and regenerative effects. Antifungal nail care should relieve inflammation of the periungual roller, moisture, nourish the skin and matrix. The active components of the preparation should restore, strengthen and protect the nail plate.
It is necessary to clarify that there are natural antifungal components with proven effectiveness. These components include:
- Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Essential Oil
- Calophyllum Inophyllum (Tamanu) Oil
In addition, you need to pay attention to ingredients with proven effectiveness in nail plate strengthening. These ingredients involve:
- Castor Oil
- Hydrolyzed Keratin
- Hydrolyzed Perl
- Salvia Hispanica (Chia) Seed Oil
- Nigella Sativa Oil
- Tocopheryl Acetate
- Linoleic Acid
- Linolenic Acid
- Thymus Serpyllum Essential Oil
You will find all these components in special onychomycosis cure and repair preparations of the Veratin Skin Care brand (Micotin Booster and Micotin Nail Repair Balm).
Thus, we can conclude that nail fungus treatment begins with antifungal prevention. In addition, we also found that there are certain risk groups of people, that require antifungal prophylaxis, regardless of symptoms. It can also be noted that there is an active and effective home antifungal care, which is both capable of treating and preventing the fungus due to certain active components in its composition. We remind you that all the symptoms and medicines compositions should be discussed with your doctor.